Subscribe - Individual

Subscribe - Biotech Premium (Corporate)


Bioshares Biotech Summit Conference Coverage - Cogstate

During the pandemic, Cogstate CEO Brad O'Connor said the whole pharmaceutical industry saw the demand for remote assessments in clinical trials increase, with the company's digital cognitive assessments well set up for decentralized studies.


In 2021 the number of trials that incorporated decentralized parts increased by 50% to over 1,000 and is expected to increase by a further 28% this year. In the first nine months of this year, decentralized trials made up 62% of all sales for Cogstate, with a record total sales secured of US$73.6 million.

Cogstate has transitioned to an almost 100% virtual work environment that has allowed it to geographically expand its work force. In the US, 74% are based in Connecticut with the remaining 26% of staff living in 13 different states.

O'Connor said that the pandemic has opened the industry to new ways of operating, with Cogstate being quick to respond to new opportunities, and believes the industry will not return to old practices.

Cogstate's revenue forecast for this year is US$44 - US$47 million (up from US$32 million) with an EBIT of between US$8.8 - US$11.3 million (up from US$3.4 million). With a relatively fixed cost base, EBIT margins and cashflow are expected to accelerate as revenue increases.

Bioshares recommendation: Buy


Information contained in this newsletter is not a complete analysis of every material fact respecting any company, industry or security. The opinions and estimates herein expressed represent the current judgement of the publisher and are subject to change. Blake Industry and Market Analysis Pty Ltd (BIMA) and any of their associates, officers or staff may have interests in securities referred to herein (Corporations Law s.849). Details contained herein have been prepared for general circulation and do not have regard to any person’s or company’s investment objectives, financial situation and particular needs. Accordingly, no recipients should rely on any recommendation (whether express or implied) contained in this document without consulting their investment adviser (Corporations Law s.851). The persons involved in or responsible for the preparation and publication of this report believe the information herein is accurate but no warranty of accuracy is given and persons seeking to rely on information provided herein should make their own independent enquiries. Details contained herein have been issued on the basis they are only for the particular person or company to whom they have been provided by Blake Industry and Market Analysis Pty Ltd. The Directors and/or associates declare interests in the following ASX Healthcare and Biotechnology sector securities: Analyst MP: 1AD, ACR, AVR, CGS, CUV, CYC, DXB, IMM, LBT, MX1, OPT, NEU, PAB, PXS,RNO,SOM. These interests can change at any time and are not additional recommendations. Holdings in stocks valued at less than $100 are not disclosed.